Do’s and Don’ts of Public Relations Translations
There have been several successful marketing campaigns and taglines that have failed miserably overseas due to tragic translation mistakes. Here are a few of them…
“Turn It Loose” was the slogan of Coors Beer. When it was translated into Spanish, it became – “Suffer from Diarrhea”.
- Pepsi was trying to translate its slogan “Come Alive with the Pepsi Generation” into Chinese. They came up with “Pepsi Brings Your Ancestors Back from the Grave”.
- “Got Milk” was a hugely successful campaign for the promotion of cow milk consumption. When this campaign was introduced into Mexico, their slogan read “Are You Lactating?”
- “Mist Stick” was introduced in Germany by Clairol. Translator did not know that the German people use the word “mist” to mean manure in their slang language.
Proper public relations translations play a very important role. It can make the difference between success and failure in a foreign country. Public relations translation services must keep the integrity of the brand intact, and stay true to the source in context, tone and meaning. Balancing this isn’t easy, and often the translator won’t be able to “transcreate” your document. It’s often essential for the person to be creative when he is creatively adapting catchy phrases, brand names, slogans, etc.
Translation companies in Toronto or anywhere else, must make sure that the client's message has gotten across accurately. Mistakes can be really costly. Cultural blunders can be devastating. The brand could be finished due to mistakes made by translation services.
Those who are doing public relations translations often have to deal with clever puns, mottos, idioms and slogans – the translation must be extremely striking and catchy. Very often, puns, mottos, slogans, product names do not get across well from English into foreign languages. Translators must be able to creatively adapt to the foreign language’s cultural sensitivities. A single inappropriate reference, wrong meaning or wrong word can give a completely different sense or meaning to your message. Public relations translation services face such situations often. Translation companies in Toronto and elsewhere have to be on their toes all the time.
Dos and don’ts for avoiding this.
- Always hire professional Canada translation services for all PR and marketing, especially when your target is the Canadian market.
- Don’t forego translation, opting to distribute in English only in order to save on costs. Distributing the materials in the native language will always have better results. In most markets, it’s an absolute must.
- Find and trust an efficient public relations translation services who could get your message across in the language of your choice.
- Never rely on an employee or business associate skills to do your translation because they know or speak the language. All translations, including public relations, must be done by professionals, who have graduated from an University’s Translation programme for your public relations translations. These people are not experts, and naturally won’t have the skills needed to do the job well. The person could be fluent in the language, however it does not mean he really is proficient in translating it.
- Review the work done by the public relations translation services before sending it out to your target market. Good translation companies in Toronto and elsewhere will do the review themselves. That’s why you must always hire the best. It will be much more productive in the end.
- Provide your Canada translation services all the resources you have – PR and marketing materials, reference documents, and glossaries which will help them do your translation much more accurately.
- Never wait till the last moment. Pick your service provider from the many public relations translation services and give them enough time. Translation companies in Toronto and everywhere else will prefer this always. There could be errors if you push the translator too much.
Request A Free Quote
Need Translation in Any Language?
Get Fast, Accurate, Certified & Notarized Translation from us
Quality is Guaranteed
We take pride in offering you:
- A prompt FREE quote for your project (usually within two hours)
- Cultural accuracy
- Contextual clarity
- Consistent terminology
- High quality translation
- Quick turnaround
- Full satisfaction guarantee